Friday 20 November 2015

Judy’s Table Runner



My colleague Judy commissioned me to make a table runner for her, she wanted it to match an afghan that her sister made for her.

Judy's Afghan
Judy had given me a prettier picture of the draped afghan, which I seem to have misplaced or deleted.  I asked Judy to bring the afghan in (to work) so that I could pick the correct fabric colours.  I also decided that I wanted to copy the log-cabin look of the afghan.  Once I had the table runner body finished I thought I wanted to match the binding to the colourful in-between bits in the afghan.  This Kaffe Fassett Ribbon Stripe fabric is just what was needed.

Judy's Table Runner
For the back I decided to use strips of all the fabrics in the front, so that she could have a reversible table runner.
Table Runner back
Quilted with the Blowing in the Wind pantograph by Jodi Beamish, and a rainbow variegated thread.
Blowing in the Wind pantograph
Judy Trafford is an artist best-known first for her watercolours, she has her studio on the Oldman River north of Pincher Creek, Alberta.  Judy regularly exhibits her portraits and landscapes in Calgary and in the Crowsnest Pass.  We worked together in the Library at Mount Royal University in Calgary until her retirement.  Here is one of her paintings which includes her afghan.

Needle Legs by Judy Trafford

This world is but a canvas to our imagination. ~ Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment