Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tuesday Tutorial – Mile a Minute Quilt – Step 3


Mile a Minute Quilt blocks - trimmed
Trimming the blocks

Once the blocks are larger than 7 inches in all directions, we’re going to trim the blocks to 6 ½ inches.  If you have a 6 ½ inch ruler you will want to use it, or now might be a nice time to add one to your collection!  Lay the ruler on your quilt block tilt it and cut the excess fabric away.  I like to tilt each way, once to the left and once to the right so that half of my blocks are angled one way and the other half angled the other way.

Tilt to the right

Tilt to the left
All trimmed up
 
That’s all for Step three, I’d love to hear from you, are you participating?  Did you get all your blocks made this week?  Is this making sense?

I sewed one strip on all my blocks each day, sort of spaced it out this week, I often start a Mile a Minute and don’t want to stop, so will get most of my blocks made in one evening of sewing.  One reason that I like the Mile a Minute quilt so much is because it’s just sewing (and pressing) two of my favorite things, I don’t have to measure and cut, and cut and think and plan, just pleasurable meditative sewing.  Other nice things about the Mile a Minute quilt are the lovely mix of colours, the memories that each piece of fabric brings and not having to worry about accurate ¼” seams.

Stay tuned until next Tuesday for Step 4.

3 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great - love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying following your blog, Edith! You were a wonderful teacher in our hands on class, and I'm excited to try this style of quilt. I'm about a week behind, but I figure I'll be able to catch up this week. Thank you for writing out these tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, so nice to hear from you and I'm glad you like my teaching style and that you are participating in the Mile a Minute quilt. This week should be a little easier with just trimming up. I really appreciate comments - Thank you.

      Delete